Tuesday 15 November 2011

Sand Paintings of the Beach

Date: 8/11/11 (Tuesday)

As a follow up to the children's interest in the beach that week, I decided to set up an art experience with paint and collage. I mixed sand in four paint colours on separate trays (blue, green, yellow and red). I also provided some pieces of woven material that reminded me of the beach and the ocean. I set up an art table in the morning with shells and images of the beach and ocean to give the children some inspiration.




Chelsea, Archie, Charli and Chloe were first to sit at the art table. Having observed Archie for few weeks I had been noticing that he is very creative and has such a strong imagination. Archie will usually be found doing an art experience throughout the day whether it be drawing, sculpting or painting at the easel. Archie expresses himself through the arts and this shows by the amount of time he spends at one artwork and also when he explains what he has created at the end. During this experience Archie used his imagination and ideas about the beach and sea to express himself through his work.

The children all really enjoyed this experience and spent a great amount of time on their artworks. I loved how each child's artwork was different in its own unique way. Some children did spots, while others spread the sandy paint across their paper. The children also added the weave material to their painting and some of them decided to stick on the images of the beach too which wasn't originally what the images are for but art is about transformation and from a Reggio Emilia approach the child is encouraged to faciliate their own learning, so instead of telling the children they can't use the images I let them stick them on.

Another technique I noticed the children doing which I loved, was they were using the shells to paint with. This made a very unique effect on the paper, the children dipped the shells in the paint and then scratched them across the page leaving different kinds of markings on the page.

Overall I was very pleased with the children's artworks and im sure they were too. I asked the children if they wanted me to write their names on their artworks and if they could think of a title. Archie responded by calling his artwork; "I want to see beautiful animals", so I wrote this on the top of his artwork. This title that Archie gave his artwork shows his strong imagination and interest in animals especially sea creatures.

Here is Archie's artwork as well as Chloes....


1 comment:

  1. Emmaly, it is clear you have understood and incorporated many concepts from Reggio Emilia. Your learning environment set up is excellent. Why did you choose blue green yellow and red? Would you offer a different palette next time you set up the activity to extend the children's understanding of colour? I am glad you were able to go with the flow and let the children use all the materials in unexpected ways - this shows a respect for the child as artist.

    ReplyDelete